Dealing with female pattern hair loss in Singapore
As a woman’s mane is often thought of as her crown of beauty, diminishing hair can often be a huge blow to a lady’s identity, self-esteem, and interpersonal relationships. Due to societal perceptions, female pattern hair loss is also much more emotional for women.
Modern as we may be, our culture remains cosmetically unaccepting of bald women. As hair loss is also perceived as a sign of ageing, women have to deal with an additional sense of lost virility and sexual attraction as well.
Speak to us to find out which Artisan Hair Regrowth Treatment is best for you.
Contact us today to find out how we can help you achieve your dream look.
What is female pattern hair loss?
Female pattern hair loss is a type of hair loss (alopecia) that is caused by hormones, genetics, and the ageing process. Unlike male pattern baldness, which usually involves a receding hairline or bald spot on the top of one’s head, female hair loss involves an overall thinning of one’s hair.
If you have female pattern hair loss, you’ve inherited a gene that causes hair follicles to shrink and eventually stop growing hair.
Know that you are not alone.
Female pattern hair loss is the most common type of hair loss among women - By the age of 50, approximately 40% of women will be afflicted with the condition, which can be detrimental, or even devastating, to their overall emotional and mental health.
What are the common causes of female pattern hair loss in Singapore?
Every strand of hair sits in a tiny hole in the skin otherwise known as a follicle. Generally, baldness occurs when one’s hair follicles shrink, gradually resulting in shorter and finer hair. Eventually, shrunken follicles will completely cease to grow new hair. While the reasons for female pattern hair loss are not always clear, they may be related to:
- The ageing process
- Heavy blood loss during menstrual periods
- A family history of male or female pattern hair loss
- Various medicines (eg. estrogenic oral contraceptives)
- Changes in androgen levels (a hormone that stimulates masculine features)
Can female pattern hair loss be treated?
The good news is that these follicles remain alive, which means that with the right treatment, new hair can grow back.
Female pattern hair loss is not to be confused with other hair loss conditions such as telogen effluvium (temporary and excessive hair shedding caused by stress to hair roots), which can be brought about by a number of conditions such as pregnancy, iron deficiency, trauma, major illness, and more.
The stages of female pattern hair loss:
- A small amount of thinning that starts around the hair part
- Widening and increased thinning of the hair part
- Thinning throughout the scalp, with a see-through area at the top of the head
Female hair thinning differs largely from male pattern baldness. In female pattern hair loss:
- Hair thinning mainly occurs on the crown of the scalp.
- Thinning typically starts with a widening of a woman’s hair parting, otherwise known as the Christmas tree pattern.
- The front hairline remains unaffected except for normal recession.
- Coarse facial hair and thinning head hair (caused by increased androgen levels).
- Female hair loss rarely ends up in baldness, as it tends to with males.
When should I seek help for hair loss?
If you are experiencing hair loss that is accompanied by itching, skin irritation, or other symptoms, do seek treatment as soon as possible.
How is female pattern hair loss diagnosed in Singapore?
As female pattern hair loss is not always just a superficial problem, your doctor will conduct a thorough examination before offering any diagnosis by:
- Getting to know your medical history
- Studying you for signs of excessive androgen
- Ruling out other causes of hair loss (eg. pregnancy, iron deficiency). Blood test will be needed.
- Looking out for abnormal new hair growth (eg. on the face or pubic area)
- Studying the appearance and pattern of your hair loss
- Noting any changes in your menstrual periods, or new acne
- Conducting a skin biopsy of the scalp
- Studying your hair shaft’s structure microscopically to identify any problems
What are the female hair loss treatments available in Singapore?
Currently, the only FDA-approved medicine for treating female pattern hair loss is minoxidil.
Minoxidil is a drug that is also commonly used to treat male pattern baldness, and is thought to help 1 in 4-5 women grow their hair. The drawback of this treatment is that you must continue to use this medicine daily. Otherwise, you will continue to lose hair. Additionally, any hair that the medicine has helped you grow will also fall out.
Apart from minoxidil, your doctor may also recommend other medicines, such as ketoconazole, birth control pills, or cimetidine.
Other alternatives for managing female pattern hair loss include:
Uses of hairpieces
Adopting a hair loss disguising hairstyle
Styling tricks can make hair loss stand out less. Cut thinning hair short so you can avoid a comb-over. Certain shampoos, conditioners, and styling products may add volume to what you do have. Also, eat a balanced diet, and handle your hair gently.
Changing your diet
Consuming more iron-rich foods.
Treat female pattern hair loss with Artisan Hair Regrowth Treatment
Artisan Hair Regrowth treatment is an in-clinic injection hair loss treatment in Singapore. By using a modern piece of technology called the La Raccine Automated Dermal Hydrator, a specially formulated serum is injected into the scalp in order to stimulate hair growth and reduce the damage caused by hair loss.This treatment revives hair follicles and encourages hair growth, all whilst being gentle on the scalp. Artisan Hair Regrowth treatment offers effective anti-inflammatory and growth benefits to women struggling with hair loss.
Artisan Hair Regrowth Treatment: What is the procedure like?
While other solutions might require extensive hours or long-term commitment, Artisan Hair Regrowth treatment lasts no more than 15 minutes. In this short amount of time:
- A numbing cream will be applied to the treatment areas of your scalp.
- Your doctor will then inject hair regrowth serum into your chosen areas.
- By using the La Raccine Automated Dermal Hydrator, serum is delivered precisely into your hair follicles.
Depending on your condition, you might opt to use anaesthesia, which would make this treatment 100% painless. Otherwise, you might feel a slight tingling sensation.
What are the benefits of Artisan Hair Regrowth treatment in Singapore?
Compared to many other treatments available in Singapore today, Artisan Hair Regrowth is much more non-invasive, painless, and risk-free. Additionally, the procedure also:
- Takes only 10 to 15 minutes
- 90% success rate for treating hair loss
- Treats hair loss and encourages hair growth
- Help clients regain a full head of hair
- Formulated to be gentle on the scalp
- Requires zero downtime
With Artisan Hair Regrowth, hair loss is successfully treated without causing any inflammation, scarring, or discomfort to the scalp.
Be careful when you’re exploring your options. Whilst many “miracle” services offered today might provide temporary relief and relaxation to your hair and scalp, they will most likely prove to be ineffective and a waste of money.
On the other hand, a certified doctor or dermatologist will be able to give you the examination, consultation, and treatment that your hair needs most.